Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It is accomplished

Well, I stood in line this morning to vote. I knew it was gonna be crowded, but the turnout was enormous for 7:15 a.m. Our precinct was paired with another, so that accounted for some of the crowd, but there were still more people there than I have seen in quite a few elections. The crowd never really lessened, either. More people came in than were leaving, so the lines were longer when I left than when I arrived.

I'd like to see us reach the 70% mark, in terms of how many registered voters actually show up at the polls. That's probably a pipe dream, but you never know. If people feel they have something at stake, they're a lot more likely to participate. The "NIMBY" crowd taught me that one. As we've seen so far this year, there are very few fence-sitters this time around, so I'm hopeful we'll pass the 50% turnout easily, and maybe the 60% mark.

So, who'd I vote for? Well, though it's really none of your business, ya nosy bastage, I'll give ya a hint. I voted Libertarian when it suited me to vote that way. I voted for more than a few Republicans, mostly in elections where they were running unopposed, so it's not really a deal-maker or -breaker there.
In some of the local races where the candidate was known to me, either personally or by reputation/accomplishments, they got my vote. I did not vote for a single Democrat. I didn't plan it that way, but that's the way it worked out.

For you Houstonites out there, I went Yes on Prop 1, no on Prop 2, and after much soul-searching, I voted in the best interests of the citizenry and not to protect my job when I voted Yes on Prop. 3. Naturally, that one will likely come back and bite me on the ass, but in the long run, I feel it was the right thing to do.

It's gonna be a long day at work. I can't wait to get home to watch the returns. Should be a good night.