Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Booze Reviews - #9

Well, I'm a few days late with the latest installment of the Booze Reviews, so I think I'll give y'all something special.

This alcoholic concoction is called a Key Lime Pie. It's one of my favorite mixed drinks of all time. If I had to do a top 5 list, it might look something like this:

  • Tequila Sunrise (Tequila, OJ, grenadine)

  • Rusty Nail (Scotch, Drambuie)

  • Brave Bull (Tequila, Kahlua)

  • Key Lime Pie (Buncha stuff, see below)

  • Godfather (Scotch, Amaretto)


  • Ok, so quite a few of you are gagging right now. I can't say that I blame you. I tend to drink my usual liquors (Scotch, bourbon, rum, tequila) neat, or perhaps over ice.

    When I get the taste for a mixed drink, though, I like 'em like I like my wimmen, sweet and strong! With a spoon in them! (sorry, inappropriate Eddie Izzard joke, there!)

    So, here's how you make a Key Lime Pie. The origin of this nectar of the gods is a bartender in Dallas, TX named Zach Mitchell, who may still be working at a watering hole called the Barley House. Just want to give credit where it's due.

    In a cocktail shaker (UPDATE: fill shaker half full of ice cubes - I can't believe I forgot that!!!), combine:

    2 parts butterscotch schnapps
    one part vodka
    one part triple sec
    one part Rose's lime juice.

    Pour in a splash (one half part) of half & half, or, if you're really livin' large, heavy cream.

    Shake, strain, and add just a squirt of fresh lime juice to each glass. Drink while still chilled!

    This drink is great, 'cause it tastes phenomenal, and scales up or down very easily depending on how many guests you're serving. Making one for myself, each recipe part equals one ounce, and I get all the liquor I need for one night. For a group of friends, each recipe part can be 4 ounces, or 12 ounces, depending on how sloshed you wanna get.

    Unlike other drink recipes for Key Lime Pie, this one comes the closest to actually tasting like Key Lime Pie. The butterscotch schnapps mimics the graham cracker crust, while the sweetness of the Rose's lime juice keeps it from getting too puckery. The vodka gives you enough kick to make drinking this foo-foo drink worthwhile. The cream mellows everything out, and the triple sec gives you that Caribbean citrus undertone.

    Give her a try, sports fans! You'll be glad you did!

    8 Pulltabs!