Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, February 04, 2005

Houston Headbangs Again!!!

YES!!!!




Via Banjo Jones, (from whom I also lifted the B&B.gif) I learn that Houston's now got a halfway decent rock & roll station again.

KLOL 101 FM, the rock & roll station of choice for over 34 years by discerning headbangers, was suddenly converted last year to a Latino Pop station by those collectivist pusbags at ClearChannel. I swear, you could give those manatee-molesters fresh lemons, clean water, and pure cane sugar and they would manage to make a pile of soggy dogshit out of it. I know, I know, radio's a money making business, but CC's the T. Boone Pickens of the media marketplace.

I was a bit bummed when KLOL went the conjunto route. I grew up listening to Dayna Steele and Brian 'Paraquat' Shannon on 101. Well, when I wasn't listening to 97 Rock, that is. KSRR-97 (actually, 96.5! In the days before digital tuners, you could get away with that!) had the better morning show with Moby & Matthews. Everyone in my high school lived and breathed by the daily astrology rating given by the Cosmic Muffin (Darryl Martinie). If the Muffin gave us a '3' on a test day, people were known to call in sick instead of going to school.
97 Rock in the mornings and early afternoons, 101 KLOL at night. I followed that recipe of radio listening for a loooong time.

For you Houstonians, here's a trip back in time... Here's the radio stations from my school years.

KPFT 90.1 - Pacifica - listened to by your friend's hippie parents for NPR

KTRU - Rice Radio - what the 'dress in black' crowd listened to. Played college-rock music.

KILT - Country radio. Better songs than the more popular country station

KKBQ - 93Q - Home of the Q Morning Zoo. Wacky radio comes to town. Popular with teenyboppers and flaming idiots. Played pop music, not rock & roll, therefore deemed unacceptable.

KIKK - The big C&W station, listeners were called KIKK'ers. So popular in early 80's that C&W dancing was called 'Kikker dancing' over most of SE Texas.

KSRR - 97 Rock - Good for a morning dose of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Everyone who was anyone had a 97 Rock bumper sticker on the back of their car. Hell, I even snuck one on the front bumper of the old biddy that taught world history. It stayed for a few weeks on the front of her otherwise immaculate '65 Caprice, causing us to get the giggles every time she left the faculty parking lot.

KLOL - 101.1 FM - Home to the "Rock & Roll Up Your Sleeve" blood drives, the "Wrap That Rascal" condom keychains, and lots of great music. Oh, yeah, the scary silver head logo, too.


KRBE - 104 - Mostly pop music. What your girlfriend listened to, once you griped about 93Q enough.


I'm sure I could dig up a few more, but you get the idea. I rarely listen to music on the radio anymore. Just too many commercials, and too few songs I like. We'll see how this new station works out.