Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, October 01, 2009

New Shooter Alert!

Do I Have To Do The Naked Happy Dance??**

I just had the damndest phone call...

My sister just called to let me know that she's on her way to a shooting class. My BIL bought her a Ruger SP101 in .38 Special, and she's going to learn how to shoot.

You could have knocked me over with a feather...

It's not that she's ever been anti-gun, or anti-hunting, but with two kids under 5 in the house, she's the last person I ever expected to be buying a pistol.

BIL has apparently also acquired a shotgun and a .40 S&W pistol, a fact previously unknown to me. I'm all in favor of it, but dread the day his tendency to be a know-it-all blowhard turns to how I need to ditch my beloved .45s in favor of a .40 autoloader!

They're well-stocked with gun locks, and they're shopping for a safe, so I'm not worried about tiny fingers finding triggers. Not for a while, anyway. I was wondering how I was going to broach the subject of buying little Sammy his first .22 rifle in a few years. That might not be a problem after all!


**Kim du Toit used to post New Shooter Alerts on his blog, and always finished by saying he was going out to do the Happy Dance, which consisted of prancing around nekkid while burning through a mag of AK ammo. I think I'll pass, if for no other reason that the neighbors would pass out from fear. Not from the gunshots, but the sight of me nekkid...