Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Concrete Results

Your Tax Dollars At Work!

This sewer/street project is about to get on my last nerve.

Since last fall, there's been a construction crew camped out in my subdivision. They're redoing the streets and drainage system, and it's been a real mess.

On any given day, there's 2 or three giant yellow whatsits on caterpillar treads with huge shovelly things roaming about. Add in a baker's dozen rollers, scrapers, dozers, and a small army of hard hats, and you've got quite the circus.

They've got one half of my street poured, after laying the forms last week. I woke up Saturday at 7 AM to a crew sledgehammering rebar into place.

Parking's a complete mess, and most mornings I've got several neighbors traipsing through the yard to get to their cars in the cul-de-sac.

The street's getting lowered 16 inches, and this ought to keep the water level off the front porch during our regular monsoons. I hope so, anyway. I've got a few pictures from rainstorm aftermaths of a smooth pond of water from my front door all the way across to the neighbor's door, and it's knee-deep in the middle.

I should have taken a picture of the storm drain pipes before they got buried. Dozens of 24" diameter pipe segments lined up alongside the road. It looked like a concrete artillery park.