Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Magnetic Attraction?

Fun & Games With Cowhide

OK, for once I'm attempting to plan ahead, in the 'measure twice, cut once' line of thinking.

I bought a huge chunk of tanned cow epidermis to make holsters and holster-like products, but it's been many years since I've done any of the required swivel-knifing, stamping, lacing and assorted tasks associated with leather working.

So, I'm trying to expend some skull-sweat in advance rather than charge in blindly and make a mess of things.

Project #1 is a knife sheath. Something relatively simple, but including all the basic holster parts, like belt loops, retention straps, etc.

A question for any crafty people out there...

I'm considering using magnets instead of the usual brass button snap on the retention strap. I'd build a tiny recess into the end of the strap and the body of the sheath, and enclose a couple of super-strong neodymium disc magnets inside.

The force to separate the magnets, even inside the leather, ought to be sufficient to hold the knife & strap securely. Still, I won't know until I try.

Anybody seen this used out in the real world?? From a cost perspective, it's certainly cheaper to use a 20 cent snap instead of a $2 magnet, but it's got a "gee-whiz" factor that I'd like to have in the sheath.

Your thoughts?