Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, October 02, 2017

The Smell Of Death Surrounds You...

Toto, We Ain't In Kansas Anymore!

Cheez & Rice, but it smells like the inside of a cholera ward bedpan in the office today...

Someone's been cooking something foul.  And they ain't from around here.

I am not opposed to foreign vittles.  Far from it.  With a few exceptions, I'm OK with just about everything the world can offer me on a plate.

OTOH, there's a few flavor combinations that immediately trigger my gag reflex, and whatever got brought in as someone's lunch today is on the "Make Me Puke" list.

First, there's a distinct aroma of organ meat.  That earthy, dark smell of liver, or black pudding, or some other iron-rich protein.

On top of that is a peppery scent.  Not hot pepper, more like a paprika.  Kind of a East European goulash or cabbage roll kind of smell.

Topping it off is the sharp tang of vinegar.  Bleagh, a warm vinegar odor just makes me wanna hurl.

Might be a tripe soup or stew.  Hard to say.  All I know is that it's absolutely nauseating.

Y'all ever try this stuff?



Mom used to get a can or two every so often back when she needed a quick dinner.  Comes out of the can looking like this:



It's got that same vinegar tang.   It's barely edible cold.  Heat it up, and I'll run from the room for the nearest toilet.  Seriously, give that stuff a quick run through a blender, and it's indistinguishable from your run-of-the-mill pile o' puke.

Jeez, I wish I could get away with firing up a cigar...