Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, December 31, 2004

Some final 2004 thoughts...

Instead of watching the college bowl games, or watch the counter tick down on the clothes dryer as I wait for clean clothes in order to go out carousing this evening, I thought I'd take a moment to close out 2004 in my own small way.

For me, it's been a year of highs and lows. I've met new friends, and watched old ones fade off in the distance. I've gotten a new job after over a year of unemployment, but then had the job be in almost direct opposition to my "small L" Libertarian political beliefs. (I don't job-blog, but let's just say that while it's a government job, it's one that directly helps people, not hinders them. And if ya gotta work for The Man, it's kinda cool to work in la oficina del alcalde in the 4th largest city in the U.S.!)

My best friend beat cancer, but had his body and soul fried to a crisp in the process. I got a sweet new ride in the Caddy Fleetwood PimpSled in September, but it doesn't erase the pain of my beloved "Big Blue" Dodge pickup getting repo'ed in February. My paternal grandmother finally had to go to a nursing home, since none of Dad's brothers would take her in after she'd been with my parents for 3 years. Her rising level of care required it, and my folks finally get to be really retired, but the flip side is, Grandma's in a rest home in Oklahoma, and she'll likely die there alone. I just can't fathom the thought processes that made it OK in this country to dump the elderly in a furnished box until they die. That's a blog for later, though.

My cats are both the joy & bane of my existence. I am covered in cat fuzz and developing a slight wheeze from the constant contact with cat dander. Sigh, I suppose I could go get back on the allergy shots. Can't give up Betsy & Pookie, though.

My pear-shaped body continues the slow march from Bosc to Bartlett, but my blood pressure is under control, and my cholesterol and blood-sugar levels are dead-solid perfect. If they could just gene-modify carrots & celery to taste like steak and bratwurst, I'd finally get back into shape... Oh, well.

After reading blogs for most of a year, I started this one in October. I'm kinda surprised I've managed to make it this far and hardly ever miss a day. I'm still not comfortable talking in-depth on a few subjects, just 'cause I know my friends read this, but that's another hurdle to overcome in 2005. Things I don't feel I can bring up face to face can get eased into here, then once the seal is cracked, we can maybe go a little further in reality.

I'm glad my blog has brought me into contact with other people around the country. I look forward to getting to know these people a little better, and maybe even breach my Fortress of Solitude and venture out for a Texas Blogmeet.

I'm not going to make any resolutions for 2005. A change of a year is just another rotation in an endless process on life's odometer. A promise to yourself on March 23rd ought to be just as valid as one made today.

Still, I'm going to try to stay in closer contact with my friends. Some have become irritatingly casual in maintaining contact, but it's likely I'm just as guilty. Hell, they mostly have real lives, with kids, mortgages, spouses. I can't blame them for not always having time to call and chat with a increasingly curmudgeonly 36 year old bachelor with his own irritatingly casual habit of letting the answering machine pick up calls.

OK, gotta go throw the shirts in the dryer. Big party tonight at a friend's place, and I'm looking forward to being off the streets and away from all the amateurs when Zero Hour hits.

Be safe, y'all! Hope your 2004 was acceptable, and your 2005 is prosperous and fulfilling.

Signing off for 2004. See you next year!

El Capitan