Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Jackson Salad (That only cost a Hamilton!)

I was picking up stuff for an Xmas feast at the local gourmet food-o-rama on Friday, and got two interesting salads while I was there. The first was a red/green grape salad with walnuts and blue cheese that was pretty tasty, but the other I'd never heard of before.

It's called "Jackson Salad", and has red onions, bacon, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm... well, hang on a sec.. here's a recipe I Googled.

1/4 cup bacon -- crisp & crumbled
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts -- drained and chopped
1 14 oz can hearts of palm -- drained and chopped
1/4 cup green onions -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- pressed
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
3 ounces salad oil
1/4 pound bleu cheese -- crumbled
salt and pepper -- to taste
romaine lettuce

Fry bacon until crisp; drain well and crumble; set aside. In a salad bowl, combine chopped artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, onions and parsley. Add garlic, lemon juice, oil, bleu cheese, salt and pepper and bacon. Mix well, cover and refrigerate. Wash and dry romaine lettuce and tear leaves into small pieces. To serve, mix chilled ingredients with romaine and serve on chilled salad plates. (This recipe states green onions, but the one I had used red onions halved and sliced really thin)

I thought it was pretty tasty. ('cause I ate the 3/4 pound I bought at one sitting, and had to go back for more...)

There weren't but one or two references to it on Google. Anyone hear of this before?