Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Bet I'd make a fortune...

Sometimes, a new product idea just leaps up your leg.

I'm walking to the kitchen last night to get a drink of water before bed. Since I've trod that route thousands of times I don't bother with turning on the light. It's pretty dark but I know where all the furniture is. Betsy Cat is asleep on my bed, so she's not an obstacle. Pookie Cat is that whitish blob on the carpet in front of me, so she's easy to avoid. That's what I thought, anyway.

See, there's no real way to distinguish the front half and the back half of a mostly-white calico cat in the dark. Especially when her tail is black. So, the foot I put down right in front of her "nose" actually came down smack-dab on her invisible tail.

The ensuing shrieking yowl nearly gave me a seizure, and the cat tried to climb up my leg while simultaneously whirling around to sink needle-sharp teeth into my ankle. I'm hopping around trying not to fall over, wildly shaking my leg to dislodge an infuriated cat, and manage to impact a wall hard enough to knock a picture off its hook. The falling picture really freaked out the cat, and she departed for the Gamma Quadrant at Warp Factor 7, leaving a warptrail behind her.

There's no breaks or swelling in Pookie's tail, nor my ankle, thank goodness. She's still glaring at me whenever I wear my bathrobe. I suppose when I'm wearing pants she thinks its a different person.

As for the new product? Tail collars! Little tiny collars that fit on a cat's tail, and have a blinking LED light so you can see those dark tails in the dark. Think how useful that would be! You could spot your cat hiding under the bed, in the back of the closet, or up in the attic. It would give the cats something to chase, too. A permanently installed toy!

Of course, you'd probably have to use hose clamps to keep the darned things on. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board...