Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Sweet! My Hotel Bill Got Paid!

Well, Mostly Paid, Anyway!

I got to fretting over that big stack of Lotto tix that have been banging around in my desk drawer. I haven't checked the numbers in weeks & weeks, and they expire after 180 days. I sorted 'em out, and they went all the way back to last November!

I don't buy 'em for every drawing, just when the jackpot gets in "Buy a baseball team" territory. Still, after adding up all the $2, $3, and $5 winners, (plus the one 4-match biggie!) it came to $149! Almost enough to pay for the blogfest lodging.

Of course, the REAL math lesson is that what I *paid* for the tickets versus what I won from the tickets would have equaled the hotel room, the gas, the booze, the meals...

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're gonna say... "Lotto is the special tax for people who don't know statistics." Don't even go there. Let it go, or I'll be forced to lecture you on discretionary income, opportunity costs, subjective value, marginal utility, and other fun topics.