Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, September 26, 2008

Adieu, WaMu!

And Don't Let The Vault Door Hit You On The Way Out!

To all you folks that used to bank with Washington Mutual, I'm sorry you're being hassled by the shutdown and forced sale.

On a personal level, however, I say good riddance to them.

I prefer my banks conservative & stodgy, not hip & trendy. Any financial institution that voluntarily prefers to have their name pronounced "Wah-Moo", and uses that as their corporate branding, does not have my complete confidence. Plus, they apparently lent all their liquid assets to deadbeat borrowers aka Subprime Specials.

Adding to those poor decisions, IMHO, was their explosive growth. During the last year or so, they were opening up branches right & left. They even tore down a semi-historic honky tonk to build one in my area. Banks should be slow & deliberate, not reproducing like horny jackrabbits.

I remember the first time I heard Bank of America called "Boh-fa". It bothered me on a deep, almost cellular level. I'd never consider calling my bank "Wel-Far". People might think I was on the dole, for one thing...