Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, June 08, 2009

Trekked Out

To Boldly Go... Home And Get Some Sleep.

Finally got around to seeing the latest incarnation of 'Star Trek' on the big screen last night. The last showing on a Sunday night is my preferred time, most of the cell-phone chatting teenyboppers and parents with screaming babies are already home, and not mucking up my cinema experience.

So, how was the movie?

Didn't much like it.

Oh, it was a whiz-bang popcorn muncher to be sure, but ultimately it was saddled with a half-ass plot, and a few too many technical gaffes that got under my skin and kept me from buying into the story 100%.

See, it's all fiction set in the Trek Universe, so my gripe is not the existence of transporter technology, or warp drives, or the sphere of cherry Jell-O that can kill planets. You take that as a given. What bugged me was, in no particular order, the ridiculous engineering & industrial design employed by the Romulans (who, in spite of rejecting logic, were still a ruthlessly efficient race)... the illogical architecture of the Vulcans... the haphazard command structure of Starfleet... the completely unnecessary industrial-sized Waring blender in the Enterprise... and so on.

I won't even go into the overblown character tropes. All I'll say is, if you're going to reboot the series, don't have the main characters act exactly like the originals. You might see an homage, I see a bunch of actors hamming it up.

There can be only one Kirk... and he must be Canadian, and have an awesome toupee...