Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Project LOLA: Day 200

Losing Weight In The Lone Star State

Day 200 doesn't fit on a calendar as neatly as 180 or 240... Still, it's a nice round number.

Nothing too wild to report. Just another day in a long series of denial and sawdust cuisine. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm eating quite well, if not in the quantities in which I was so long accustomed.

One thing about watching what you eat... You really start to appreciate the good meals you have. Oh, don't get me wrong. I was a foodie way back before they coined the word, even if I did take it to daily extremes.

Still, after you've been slicing up your day in 200 or 300 calorie chunks, the opportunity to sit down an ingest 900-1000 calories at a whack are truly a treat, especially if it's good food, well-prepared.

I got up last Saturday and had a big bowl of fruit and a handful of pretzels, then went to friend's birthday dinner party late that afternoon. Her husband's a whiz on the grill, and I slurped down a skewer of grilled veggies, another of lamb chunks, and one skewer of chicken marinated in yogurt & spices. There was a nice big plate of Greek salad, some roast 'tater chunks, olives, hummus, tsatziki sauce, dolmas and little wedges of spanakopita, a tasty treat made with spinach and phyllo dough.

I did skip dessert, which was chocolate mousse with real whipped cream and rasberries. Man, it looked good. I had a beer instead, which might not seem like a fair trade, but it was an Arrogant Bastard Oaked Ale, which was by far the tastiest beer I've had in a while. That, and a finger & a half of Aberlour scotch finished off the evening quite well.

Lunch on Easter Sunday was tasty as well. I went out with the parents (Sister and BIL bailed out on the visit...) and had a most tasty slab of grilled haddock and a mess of turnip greens cooked with bacon and doused with a vinegar/tabasco pepper mix.
Kinda wished I'd splurged on the strawberry shortcake, but it's probably better that I didn't.

Just to give y'all a heads-up... I'm probably going to start posting some longer essay-type postings here in the near future. I had debated starting up a new blog to cover some of the trials and tribulations of attempting to lose 2/3 of my body weight. I dunno, call it 'The Lard-Ass Chronicles', or something similar. There's some issues you can't really address in 75 words or less, and I'd just as soon throw 'em up here instead of paying a pshrink $200/hour to get it off my chest.

Anyway, don't say I didn't warn you. I don't want to see any TL:DR (Too Long: Didn't Read) snark in the comments...