Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Get Thee Behind Me, Ben & Jerry!

The Last Ongoing Temptation Of El Capitan

Quick LOLA update...

I was planning on doing a more detailed post on Friday, and I still may, but there's a bit of a crisis going on.

There's a long list of things I don't eat anymore, and while I'm finding I don't particularly miss some things (McDonald's burgers, fried foods), others are a constant yearning struggling to break free.

I'm at the local HEB buying groceries this evening, and somehow managed to walk down exactly the wrong frikkin' aisle.

I can skip past the bread, pasta and snack foods with nary a wobbly knee, and I've learned to avoid the deli and pastry section completely. Even though I sorely miss pizza and spicy chicken strips, I can pass those up as well. Frozen pizza is never that good, and the chicken strips just aren't the same without big goopy globs of bleu cheese dressing, so no real struggle there.

Even ice cream has been easy to avoid. A half-gallon bucket is absolutely verboten, and even the pint-size cartons are just too caloric to deal with.

However...

I happened to notice a new addition in the frozen food section. Single-serving portions of ice cream.

Not just one, either. Dreyer's, Blue Bell, Haagen-Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, and a couple of other makers are offering tiny little cups of ice cream for around a dollar apiece.

Evil bastards...

They're not very large, about the size of a Dixie Cup with a lid. They're still in the 200-300 calorie range, though. I can't see giving up a portion of pretzels or a cup of oatmeal for three bites of Cherry Garcia.

Not yet, anyway...

Sigh. At times, LOLA can be a real bitch.