Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bad News, Worse News

Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn...

Well, there's no easy way to say this, so I'll just say it.

Pookie Cat has lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes. It's progressed to the point that trying chemotherapy is a long shot, and an expensive one at that.

She's not in a great deal of discomfort at the moment. It's mostly that of an older cat recovering from surgery. She's had her stitches out, and one paw has some swelling that I'm hoping the corticosteroid pills will help with.

She's limping heavily, but she can still get to the litter box & the food & water bowls. She's set up camp under the bench in my office, but every so often I'll find her under the couch or next to the armchair by the fireplace.

The vet said she could live two months or two years, but given how fast the tumors grew and the third one they removed from the opposite leg, I'm not too optimistic.

What sucks is that if she does die before it cools off, she's going to have to be cremated. There's just no effin' way I'm giving myself a stroke digging a deep hole in the backyard. I suppose I could hire Carlos the Unreliable to do it, but I'd have to store her in the freezer for a month before he'd get around to doing it.

Nah, better a fire than freezer burn.

Well, I'm not going to get ahead of the situation. I'll just stock up on some really nice canned cat food and make her as comfortable as possible until it's time to end it.

That being said, given that she's spent the last decade making herself as comfortable as possible, how do you tell if you're achieving that goal??

Sigh. This sucks. First Betsy Cat, now Pookie Cat.

I think I'll start keeping mayflies as pets. With a 24 hour lifespan, you just can't get attached to them...