Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Project EBR - Almost There!

I'll Quit Procrastinating Next Week!!

Wow, talk about things stuck on the back burner...

I last posted about Project EBR in January of 2011. Since then, I've done precisely Jack & Shit towards completing it.
(If you don't want to follow the link, Project Evil Black Rifle is my AR-15 build)

Oh, I've done lots of catalogue & web shopping, but I could never quite get everything lined up to my satisfaction before pulling the trigger, so to speak.

Part of it was just the overwhelming array of possibilities. Part of it was trying to stay under $650 for the upper and bolt assembly. Part of it was modified usage of Shepard's Prayer ("Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up!").

However...

I think I've got it all ironed out. I'm down to two choices for the upper:

1) Spikes Tactical 16" Midlength - Total Price - $579 + shipping
- Offered exclusively through AIM Surplus, this is probably going to get the nod, if for no other reason than I've already got a Spikes lower.


•Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hard coat Anodized finish, T-markings, Spike’s logo and M4 feed ramps.
• Barrel is certified MIL-B-11595E CMV, M4 barrel extension, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.
•Light-weight Contour barrel with pinned and melonited low profile mid-length gas system.
•Barrel is Phosphate finished under the .625" F marked A2 front sight base with stainless steel plug set at the rifle length handguard position.
•The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.
•Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.
•HP/MP Tested Bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.
•Magpul MOE heat shield lined black handguards.
•A2 Flash Hider.

2) Palmetto State Armory 16" Midlength Dissipator - Total Price - $587.90 + shipping


Barrel length 16"
Hammer Forged Barrel
Machine Gun Steel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
A2 profile
Mid length gas system
M4 feedramps
Forged upper
T-marks
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Magpul Backup Rear Sight


AIM has a distressing habit of being Out Of Stock, so when & if that travel reimbursement check from The Man ever shows up, I may do the Palmetto upper if AIM has bare shelves when it comes time to push the "Order" button.

At any rate, I've got to get this done before we get any closer to the fall election!