Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, January 08, 2018

My House Looks Like A Barn

The Ongoing Saga Of Bungalow Harvey

Flooding.  What an enormous pain in the ass...

The contractors are busy tearing out just about everything inside the house down to the bare studs.

I've got no kitchen, half a functioning bathroom, one single bedroom with plastic sheeting stapled up everywhere in a vain attempt to keep the dust at bay...

The washer/dryer will still work, but I've gotta reconnect all the lines whenever I need to run a load.  The crew keeps unhooking everything and shoving them around to get to the walls & pipes.  I haven't gone to a Laundromat since the early 2000's.   Don't miss it, don't want to go back if I don't have to.

No central heat.  The intake ducts were part of the hall closet, so there's no way to filter anything.  Last thing I need is more drywall & mold scattered everywhere.

This makes the ambient temperature inside about 5 degrees warmer than outside.  I was OK until things dipped down into the 30s.   See, with no walls to stop drafts, the pilot light on the water heater has a habit of blowing out, and you usually don't discover this until you shiver your way to the bathroom to be greeted with an icy cold shower.

That's enough to make the Pope blaspheme...

Went through the garage yesterday, making a final sweep of trash/keep.   Managed to fill up a 10 yard dumpster again.  New rule:  if it's made of solid wood, we refurbish.  Particle board?  Adios, mofo.

Still not sure who's paying for all this.   The contractor swears they can do it for the insurance payout, despite my $10k deductible.  We shall see.

Finish date by end-of-month, but I'm not holding my breath.   Something always comes up...