Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, February 21, 2005

Well, That Was Unexpected...

Before I left for the weekend, I dumped a fresh bag of LifeSavers Peppermint candies (to which I am addicted) in my desk drawer. You get a nice whiff of peppermint oil whenever you open your drawer for a week or so.

At lunch Friday I had wandered over to a local drugstore to get some dental wax (see earlier post concerning wisdom teeth) and took advantage of the post-Valentines Day sales to grab a bag or two (or three) of the 75% off chocolates. FWIW, the caramel-filled Hershey's Kisses are OK, but the dark chocolate Kisses are fantastic. The bag of dark chocolate gets dumped in the drawer as well.

So I come into work today, and when I hit that low-blood-sugar trough mid-morning, I grab a couple of chocolates, and make an amazing discovery. They're now mint chocolates.

Not quite as minty as say, a York peppermint patty, but there's enough mint to be noticeable. I suppose the volatile oils from the Lifesavers soaked into the chocolates. The mix of Hershey's Dark and peppermint is pretty darned good. I think I'm going to try this experiment again, only with unwrapped Kisses, and real peppermint oil in a sealed container.

I'll let you know how it turns out, but alas, I doubt there will be any remaining samples!