Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, March 11, 2005

More Gun Goodness!

Oh, be still my beating heart!! OK, not perfectly still...

After years of seeing those effete Ruger 10/22 snobs flouncing around with all their aftermarket accessories, I'm pleased to say that there's finally some goodies showing up for those of us that prefer the Marlin Model 60.

I love my Marlin .22s! Hell, I've got 3 or 4 of them hanging around, but two are just parts guns to keep the shooters in running order. I've got a vintage Model 60, made before the days of smaller tube mags, shorter barrels and the redesigned bolt. It's had literally thousands of rounds through it, and still shoots tighter groups that I can hold still for. I also have a Model 75, the carbine version with the 10-shot tube mag and the 18" barrel. Not quite as accurate, but it's pretty handy to have around. I use it with rat-shot rounds to blow up the carpenter bees that burrow into the eaves on the house.

I've been quite satisfied with their handling, and I do prefer a wood stock to synthetic, but I think I need to go from this:



to one of these:





Hell, maybe both. The Mod. 75 will also fit the Dragunov-style stock. I'm afraid if I put it in the bullpup version, it'll be too short overall, and get me busted for having an underlength rifle.

Well, the gun show is tomorrow downtown. Maybe someone will have some to take a look at! The Dragunov runs about $50-60, the bullpup a little over a C-note.