Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, August 26, 2005

We Want Tha Funk!

Bet They Tore The Roof Off The Sucka!

Now, how cool is this?



My friends Jenni & Barry got to go hang out with George Clinton, the man who put the "PH" in "Funk" the other night. I'm SO jealous!

So, what's a suburban white boy doing listening to funk? I blame it on Mom. She used to teach at an inner-city high school when I was still in short pants, and took me along to see a talent show one afternoon about 1977 or so. Several bands were doing P-Funk covers. The music didn't interest me so much as the fashion. I came away with a burning need to own those star-shaped glasses that Bootsy Collins had.

Fortunately, I saw what a freakazoid Elton John was with the weird shades, and managed to tone it down a bit. Still, the urge for offbeat eyewear cropped up occasionally. Some of you might remember the stained-glass wraparound shades and the aviators with the electric pink frames back in the late 80's. In my defense, I was smoking a shitload of dope back then. Altered my judgement somewhat.

I'll get to hear all about it next weekend. J&B are coming down to spend the weekend at my place, and Flying Spaghetti Monster only knows how I'll keep 'em entertained for three days. Maybe I'll take 'em to the gun range, and we can blow shit up while grooving to the funk.