Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The High School Meme

It Was 20 Years Ago Today, Mr. Caston Told The Band To Play...

Got this from Sheila. Of course, I must pass this meme along to others. I won't point fingers at anyone specific, but I'd love to see what some folks on my blogroll have to say about their time in high school!


1) Where did you graduate from and what year?
Spring Woods High, Houston, TX in 1986

2) Did you have school pride?
Not really. As a band geek, we HAD to be at all the pep rallies. Didn't mean we liked it...

3) Was your prom a night to remember?
Eh, not so much. Jr. Prom was OK. Sr. Prom was a bit of a letdown. Mr. Friendly did go spelunking both nights, so they weren't all bad.

4) Do you own all 4 Yearbooks?
Yes. They're out in a box in the garage somewhere.

5) What was the worst trouble you ever got into?
Heh. Where to begin... I'll keep the dial set to "Trouble Occurring On School Grounds". Low-to middlin' grades, resistance to authority, booze, weed, cigarettes. Officially, the worst thing was a 2 day suspension for smokin' in the boy's room. There's a hell of a lot that the screwheads missed, though.

6) What kind of people did you hang out with?
Band folks, speech & debate folks, a bit of the stoner/metalhead crowd. No jocks, no clownsuited bowheads, no drill team!

7) What was your number 1 choice of College in HS?
Heh. More like, who's gonna let me in with these grades?

8) what radio station did you rock out to?
KSRR 97.1 FM, KLOL 101.1 FM

9) Were you involved in any organizations or clubs?
Band, Speech & Debate, Latin Club, Industrial Arts Club, The Under-The-Tennis-Bleachers Cannabis Appreciation Society.

10) What were your favorite classes in high school?
Latin, Metal Shop, Band, Chemistry

11) Who was your big crush in Highschool?
9th grade: an unnamed sophomore in the band's flag corps.

10th grade: Changed on a daily basis.

11th grade: The main squeeze

12th grade: The main squeeze, year #2

12) Would you say you've changed a lot since high school?
Well, I've certainly put on pounds, no doubt about that. I'm still pretty much the same self-absorbed asshole I was back then, but I'm better at hiding it these days.

13) What do you miss the most about it?
Performing with the band on the marching field, the endless free time to just be young and alive. Hold on to sixteen, as long as you can! Changes come around real soon make us women & men!

14) Your worst memory of HS?
The new Texas "No Pass, No Play" law. Algebra II and I did not get along, and I missed a lot of extracurricular activities due to academic ineligibility. Funny thing was, I was only taking Algebra II 'cause it was a required class if you were enrolled in Chemistry. I made A's in Chemistry. Go figure...

15) Did you have a car?
Sorta. I had the use of whatever family vehicles were currently operating, but my main transport was a Honda Aero 80CC scooter. Loved that thing!

16) What were your school colors?
Black & Gold

17) Who were your favorite teachers?
Janice Reed (Latin), Robby Caston (Band), Cecil Childers (Chemistry), Coach Egan (Biology), James Fraughton (Metal Shop)

18) Did you own a cell phone in high school?
Cell phones? Hah! Here's a quarter. Use that phone on the wall over there.

19) Did you leave campus for lunch?
Only once or twice.

20) If so, where was your favorite place to go eat?
Anywhere far away from campus. The screwheads used to patrol the nearby places looking for students.

21) Were you always late to class?
Actually, I'm pretty punctual.

22) Did you ever have to stay for Saturday School?
WTF is Saturday School? Had plenty of afternoon detentions.

23) Did you ever ditch?
Mistakes were made... (we called it 'skipping', not ditching)

24) What kind of Job did you have?
Minimum wage sucky jobs, mostly.

25) When it comes time for the reunion will you be there?
Went to the 10th. It wasn't that much fun. The 20th is this year. Haven't made up my mind, but I'm 90% sure I'll skip it.

26) Do you wish you were still in high school?
Jeez, if I could go back and do it again, only knowing what I do now, I'd do it in a minute. I'd rule that pile of bricks. Otherwise, forget it.