Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Big Hair, Big Heads in Texas!

Just What Houston Needs, Another Concrete Head...

Local artist David Adickes has unleashed another of his concrete creations on an unsuspecting public. Famous for the gigantimous statue of Sam Houston on the Interstate outside Huntsville, as well as the Virtuoso (aka "Cello Guy") over at Lyric Center, the latest is entitled 'Elegance' and it's a sculpture of a woman's head over by the Metro tracks on Main street.

Oddly enough, I know the model who posed for the artist for this sculpture. She's the older sister of a friend of mine from way back in the day. He and I used to blow off church services and go hang out in a nearby playground, then sneak back in just before the benediction. He never caught caught, 'cause his mom was the organist, and she couldn't exactly go out looking for him. I, on the other hand, got busted regularly by parents who were determined to have me sit through services even if they had to nail my butt to the pews. That's a rant for another time, though...

Anyway, Skip's older sister Julie was (and likely still is) a primo hottie of the highest order. I'm sure she's got plenty of other fine qualities, but when you're 13 years old, the only thing you're noticing is how drop-dead gorgeous she is. I'm not kidding about the drop-dead part, either. Back when she was competing in the Miss Texas pageant, I happened to be over at Skip's place eating some of his Mom's fantastic homemade peppermint ice cream. Julie came in from the back yard wearing a bikini so skimpy it looked like it was made of dental floss and band-aids. She bends over and starts playing with the dog. I distinctly remember time standing still at that point. Whatever Julie, Skip and their mom was discussing was reduced to a background hum, and I was having trouble getting the spoon from the bowl into my mouth. I'm pretty sure half the bowl melted due to the sudden increase in body heat.

Heh. That's almost 25 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. That's how much of a looker she is!

Anyway, judge for yourself. Concrete adds a few pounds, mind you...