Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

It's A Bird! It's A Plane! It's...

It's Another Overbudgeted Hollywood Spectacle!

By now, if you're even remotely connected to pop culture, you've probably seen adverts for the latest Superman film.

If not, go have a look: (click the big ol' "S")



With 10 years of script rewrites and a revolving cast of directors, I suspect the film has a strong potential to suck donkey dick. I'll still be there opening weekend, more than likely. I just can't resist a comic book movie, even one starring the Big Blue Boy Scout. (However, I did manage to avoid 'The Hulk', which I gather was the smart thing to do...)

When I was actively involved in comic book geekery, I tended to shun Superman in favor of Batman and Spidey, etc. Still, Superman is and always has been excellent fodder for the big & small screens. I've already confessed my addiction here on the blog to WB's "Smallville" TV show. I'm kinda irked that Tom Welling from Smallville wasn't tapped to bring the role of Clark Kent/Superman to the big screen.

OTOH, Kevin Spacey's playing Lex Luthor, which is a free license for him to ham it up. Should be fun to watch! Lex Luthor ought to be played as a larger-than-life villain.

Big summer for fun flix, I'm hoping. Got the Xmen making appearance #3 on May 26th, then SuperDude on June 30. We get more pirate fun in July, when Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean sequel-izes itself.

Aug. 18th will be my personal movie-geek day. The Samuel L. Jackson fan-appreciation flick Snakes On A Plane debuts (GET THESE MOTHERF#%$ING SNAKES OFF THIS MOTHERF#%$ING PLANE!!), along with Clerks 2 from Kevin Smith. Aug. 25th sees the return of the comedy troupe Broken Lizard (Super Troopers, Club Dread) with 'Beerfest'.

Wow. Looks like I'll have to give up my DVD habit for a while and get back into the theater!