Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, July 17, 2006

Beat & Battered

Headed For The Deep Fryer, Probably...

Hayzooz Krispies, I'm about wore out.

Long, long weekend. Fun, but the kind of fun I need to have closer to home. There were days where I could drive across the state in 100 degree weather, then spend hours and hours drinking like a fish sipping iced tea, getting barely 2 hours sleep before trying to drive back home. Those days are passing me by, I'm thinking.

It wouldn't have hit me so hard, but the last week or so, I've had one of my infrequent bronchitis flareups. I've spent most of that time hacking and coughing 24/7, and getting very little sleep as a result. Add to that the muscles strained by the constant coughing and a general feeling of fatigue, and I was one wore-out puppy before the trip even began.

I also need to remember my air mattress (or my hotel reservation) for these little jaunts. Sleeping on the floor reminds you why mattresses were invented. I tried sleeping in my new folding camp chair, but it just didn't quite work out.

Going home was the real challenge. A couple of times around Corsicana, I had those "blink" moments. That's where you blink your eyes, and you're suddenly a mile further down the road, with your tires halfway over the rumblestrip on the shoulder. A 90 minute nap at the next rest area helped fix that problem.

Got home around 4:30p. I had every intention of staying up to watch Deadwood at 8, but the gravitational pull of my bed was overwhelming, and I crashed hard until about 2 a.m.

I'm still in a daze this morning. Good thing we're on Business Casual attire this week. I don't think I could have managed to get a tie knotted this morning. Just too much effort.

Wonder of wonders... no email and no voice mails stacked up waiting for me this morning. Either the Powers That Be are cutting me some slack, or this is the calm before the storm...