Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, December 08, 2006

Firearms Aesthetics

'Cause I Don't Have the $$$ To Collect Battleships...

Gun collectors, or just gun accumulators, have a myriad of reasons for their particular taste in hobbies. The fevered ravings of the gun-fearing wussies aside, not every collector is a paranoid recluse, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the UN's secret Black Helicopter Squadron from their underground bunker/arsenal.

Some folks collect only Winchester lever-action rifles. Some people like Pre-WWII Smith & Wesson revolvers. Some collectors have the wherewithal to collect original Colt Walkers & Patersons. Heck, I know one guy that's into those tiny micro-caliber "Velodog" revolvers from Europe.

Me? I like accuracy. I like fine craftsmanship, and I especially like weapons that are pleasing to the eye. If a firearm can be accurate, reliable, and look good while performing the first two essential functions, then that's one I'm interested in owning.

Now, just because I like 'em, doesn't mean I can afford 'em! Many of my favorites I'll never have a chance to own, or will have to make do with a repro.

Some times I can't really put a finger on why I like particular designs as much as I do. Why do I go nutso over an Audemars Piguet or a vintage Breguet, when a Vacheron Constantin or a Patek Phillipe leaves me cold? Suffice it to say, they tweak my interest, and that's good enough reason for me.

Below are just a few of the visual reasons I stay in the gun acquisition business. They may not be to your taste, but to me, they are a representation of aesthetic perfection.

Remington Exposed-Hammer Shotguns


Smith & Wesson Schofield Model


Saw-Handled Dueling Pistols


Mannlicher Rifle Stocks


Sidehammer Revolvers


Smith & Wesson Mod. 28


English-stocked double shotguns



Smith & Wesson Model 24-3