Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fireplace Finished!

Gee, I Hope The Grout Sealant Ain't Flammable...

It's amazing what $300 in materials can get you! A fireplace that looks like it cost you $325!

Ignore the junk behind the brass screen. It's a bag full of the "lava rocks" that get scattered under the gas burner. I haven't dumped them out yet.

I'm not too wild about the wooden hearth angels, but my uncle made a bunch of 'em as gifts for the family. He took up woodworking when his #2 kid got thrown in the slammer, as a means of coping. So, I can live with 'em. Also, Granddad's service flag will get moved before I light up the fire, but it looks nice & symmetrical there!

Still, the project's finished. Now, I just need to get a better picture over the mantle.