Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, May 12, 2008

Stopping Up The Wrong End

Saving Money Isn't Always Recommended.

Damned generic drugs...

In an effort to save a few bucks, I usually buy the store brand when purchasing OTC medications. I figure, if it's the same chemical makeup, why pay for fancy labels and spendy advertising. This is not always the case. Gaviscon and Motrin are worth every penny.

The problem with generics is that when you look for a brand name on the little foil pill packet (because the box got discarded weeks past), you sometimes only get the drug name, not the brand name.

So, yesterday, when I'm desperately trying to halt an overactive lower bowel which was doing a fair impression of the Erie Canal in monsoon season, I find the foil pill packet in the bathroom cabinet labeled "Loratidine" and swallow a couple.

Naturally, the flood continued unabated, much to my dismay. I was actually needing "Loperamide", the active drug in Imodium. Loratidine is the main ingredient in Claritin.

My nose didn't leak a drop.

Wish I could say the same about my bunghole...

As long as I'm crapblogging, I made a discovery last week. In an effort to reduce carbs, I picked up some roasted & salted nuts for midday office snacking. It was a pecan/almond/cashew/macadamia mix. As it happens, I seem to like macadamia nuts, which is funny, 'cause I spent the last 30 years assuming I hated them.

So, I drop by Walgreen's for some more, and discover they sell 9 oz bags of macadamias for $4. Deal!

The problem is, if you're working on a project and mindlessly nibbling, you can kill that bag in an afternoon. The salt and calorie count was astronomical, but there was an unexpected benefit.

All that fat content in the nuts merging with a high-fiber diet? I don't want to get too graphic, but let's just say it was like having teflon-coated turds. High speed, low drag tactical turds!

I'm just sayin', is all...