Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, October 03, 2008

Radial Rides

"My Cycle's A Circular Motion..."

No, not "radical rides", radial rides!

I've always been a fan of radial engines. They're just the thing for powering a propeller. A ring of cylinders with their pistons pushing a central cam, all spinning one driveshaft... Add a fuselage, wings and a prop, and you're off to the wild blue yonder!

Custom motorcycle makers are an inventive bunch, and sooner or later it was inevitable that one would put a radial engine in a bike frame, just to see what would happen.

Here's an example:




It looks sweet, but there are inherent problems. The bottom cylinder heads are bound to pick up lots of road grit and trash, and you don't have a lot of ground clearance. Also, as seen in the second pic, the transfer case needed to convert the engine torque 90 degrees is a sizable chunk of metal, making me wonder where your left leg is supposed to fit.

Now, this second example eliminates the differential by placing the engine sideways, so the spinning driveshaft is in line with the rear drive wheel. There's still a transmission in there to gear down the engine, but it seems more rider-friendly.



There might be a problem cooling the rear cylinders, though, and since they're placed right under the rider's crotch, I'd hate to have them overheat and start throwing a rod or explode!

Impressive? Yeah, from an engineering standpoint. From a badass bike perspective? I dunno. I just don't see a hardcore biker going the radial route.

Now, if you were to use this engine? THAT would impress me! It's a Lycoming 36 cylinder 127 liter radial engine putting out around 5000 horsepower. Put that on two wheels, and you've got the Badass Biker crown all sewn up!



As for me? This is more my style! I'm told it's powered by a Jaguar V-12 engine. Plus, there's room on the handlebars to mount a water-cooled Browning .30 cal, and I'm sure I can squeeze in the margarita machine somewhere.