Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, December 26, 2008

This Xmas Goose Is Stuffed...

Santa, I Need Alka-Seltzer!

Ohhh... Moan.... Groan....

***BELCH!!!***

....aaaaahhh.....

If there's a Deadly Sin with my name on it, it's Gluttony for sure.

Things started off yesterday morning on the wrong foot. After a healthy meal of rabbit food and lean meat the night before, I arose Xmas morning a bit peckish, and decided to forego the yogurt & fruit in favor of a bowl of Cheerios. What the hell, it's Christmas, right?

I resolved to sprinkle on Splenda instead of sugar, that being the usual method of turning those tasteless oaty bungholes into something palatable.

Well, I was out of Splenda. Out of sugar too, for that matter. Adding insult to injury, I was also completely out of milk.

So, you ever try eating Cheerios floating in eggnog? Kinda rich, but that nog sweetens those dessicated bungholes up pretty nicely!

After my blood sugar levels crawled down from the stratosphere, I went looking for lunch. I had planned on a steakhouse whose website assured me they'd be open on Xmas. I found instead a note taped to the door saying "Sorry, we're closed". Guess the chef had better things to do today.

A slow tour down the main drag found only a handful of open eateries, mostly of the Denny's/Waffle House and Chinese buffet variety, which have little or no appeal. I was about to head back to the house, when I passed an Indian restaurant open for business. Salvation!

Gourmet India had a respectable buffet waiting for me, with treats I hadn't seen before at the typical Indian squat & gobble. Bite-sized samosas, filled with a spicy potato filling... Chicken Pakora, which looks like a blaze-orange McNugget, but tastes delicious.

Malai kofta, croquettes of minced vegetables & cheese in a savory sauce, and the creamiest, most delicious saag paneer (spinach & farmer's cheese) I've ever had.

The chicken tikka masala was quite good, as was the stewed goat with tomatoes & onions. Dessert was my favorite, a dish of rice cooked with milk, sugar, almonds and pistachios, served cold.

I was the only gringo in the joint, which is usually a sign of a good "furriner" restaurant. A belly full of food and iced tea for $20, including the tip. Can't beat that!

I'll be going back, and I think I'll be dragging this guy with me, next time he's in town!