Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, March 23, 2009

A Tasty D.Q. - Who Knew?

Come Over Here And Lick My Dilly Bar!

I've always seen Dairy Queen as a filthy disreputable restaurant.

Problem was, my opinion came largely from two Dairy Queens, the one in Haskell, Texas and the now-defunct one at Long Point & Gessner here in Houston.

Back in the day, we'd travel to Haskell for family reunions with Mom's kinfolk. DQ was literally the only place to get a bite in town. Those of you who traveled Texas highways 30 years ago will know what I mean. Remember stopping at a small town's only stoplight, where there'd be a farmer's land bank, a Ford dealer, a gas station and a Dairy Queen?

Problem was, that DQ sucked ass. It got even worse in the 90's when a Sonic opened on the north end of town, and lured away the kid business.

The one here in Houston was much the same. Too many years without a renovation, feckless staff, and an abundance of unscrubbable grime and tarnish.

Imagine my surprise when a random visit to a DQ here in town revealed a clean restaurant serving tasty food!

So far I've been to 4 different DQ's, and each one has been a place I'd recommend to others.

I stopped at the first one out of sheer curiousity. I'd heard a friend at work raving about the fried jalapeno strips, and went to see what the fuss was about.

Well, I passed on the peppers, but rediscovered The Dude. A huge chicken-fried steak sandwich. Damn tasty!

Even better was the chiliburger served with fresh red onions and a wad of those dip-sized Fritos chips. Outstanding!

The ice cream? Well, not as tasty as I remembered from my youth, but I've been spoiled by Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's, I suppose.

So, stop in and try a Dairy Queen. It might surprise you!