Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, May 03, 2010

Music For Mondays

Something Different To Start The Week

It's been a long, long time since I've heard any new music that's worth recommending. My musical tastes have gotten less fluid, kinda like concrete drying. I'm not gonna say I'm stuck in any particular era, but lately I've made close to zero effort to dig up anything new.

These days, it seems I stumble bass-ackwards into something I haven't heard before. I was at the midnight movies Saturday, waiting for 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' to begin, and the theater was piping in a music program to the audience.

They played one tune that I really liked, and luckily, they announced the title, band and album name just before the film started. I looked up the band on the web once I got home, and I'm kinda digging their style. I may actually break down and buy a CD for the first time in months & months. It's a mix of country/bluegrass/folk with a dash of the old High Lonesome & a pinch of klezmer stirred in.

Anyway, check 'em out. They're called Black Prairie, and they just released their debut album "Feast of the Hunter's Moon" last month.

They're on Facebook & iTunes, or you can just Google them. It's worth your time, especially their cover of the Doc Watson tune "Red Rocking Chair".