Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Not Gonna Catch The Midnight Rider

The Things I Volunteer For...

OK, so it's more like the 3 a.m. driver.

My nephew Sammy's kindergarten class is having a Grandparent's breakfast tomorrow morning at 7 a.m., and naturally my parents *have* to attend.

Of course, they couldn't leave Houston this afternoon and spend the night. Oh, no. Dad has to attend one of his numerous Civic Association meetings until after 10 p.m.

His cunning plan was to get up at 2:30, get Mom up at 2:55, drag her to the car, then leave at 3, and drive to San Marcos.

This is the same Dad who can sit down on the couch for a football game, watch the kickoff, and be sound asleep before the receiving team completes its first set of downs.

I heard of this scheme on Tuesday, and spent the next 48 hours fretting over the almost certain call Friday morning from the State Troopers about a rollover accident somewhere between here & there.

So, I put in for tomorrow off, and I'll be driving them myself.

I better go get some sleep myself. I'm no spring chicken, either.

Ah, well. At least I'll get a Slurpee from the San Marcos 7-11 and a free lunch out of the deal...