Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lessons In Diplomacy

Ah, She Never Liked Me Anyway.

Like rats leaving a sinking ship, more & more co-workers are cranking out CVs, surfing the job boards, and every so often, landing a new job.

As I've mentioned before, I got relocated from one department to another at the first of the year. I'm still officing up on the old department's floor until room can be found. I could move tomorrow if I wanted a cubicle, but as I told the Asst. Director, "An office door that shuts & locks is easily worth $5k in annual salary."

Besides, I did cubicles at my old job. They're highly overrated. More on the cube game in a future post...

So, as I was saying, co-workers are finding employment with someone other than The Man.

Last Friday there was a going-away party for one of the departing peons. We'll call her Lucia. She's going to work for some minority business conglomerate that somehow still has money coming in to allow hiring. Probably Federal grants...

Another co-worker poked her head in my office Friday, and asked if I was going to attend the going-away party for Lucia. The conversation went something like this:

"Hey, Cap! You going to come eat some cake with us and say goodbye to Lucia?"

"No, probably not."

"Why not?"

"Well, three reasons come to mind."

---10 second pause while co-worker processes this info---

"And those three reasons would be??"

"Since you asked...

a) I wasn't invited

b) I'm not in this department anymore

and

c) Lucia wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire. For almost 7 years now any interaction between us consisted of me saying hello, and her ignoring me. So, thanks but no thanks. Tell her Buena Suerte and don't let the door hit her capacious ass on the way out."

"I see..."

Naturally this got back to Lucia. Fortunately it got back to her yesterday, after she officially was no longer an employee and couldn't call shenanigans with HR.

Got a lovely email, though. I'm debating sending it back to the minority business conglomerate from whence it came to let them know what's being sent through their email server...