Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Drumbeat Sound Of Time

Strange way to start off this entry, but apparently I've misheard that lyric since 1983. I always thought it was the best line of Cyndi Lauper's 'Time after Time', but according to all the lyrics compilations I've Googled up, the line apparently reads "The drum beats out of time", which is OK, I suppose, but doesn't carry the emotional weight of my interpretation. Guess ya had to be standing in my Adidas in 1983 for that to make any sense.

Time keeps on ticking, though. Just had an update on the grandmother front. There has been a long-standing DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order concerning her health, which she insisted upon prior to heading down the rocky Alzheimer's path 10 years ago. DNR's are pretty standard in geriatric care, they basically state that no heroic measures are to be taken to prolong life. If the patient codes, you make them comfortable as you can, and let nature take its course.

Well, the definition of DNR came under fire over the weekend. My grandmother has been refusing to eat or drink, and was heading downhill rapidly. She was admitted to the hospital and set up on an I.V., which she proceeded to remove. Eventually, the I.V. was replaced. I would consider an I.V. normal care, and not contrary to the DNR. The relatives on scene, however, got all atwitter about Grandma Annabel 'starving to death', and were pushing for a feeding tube. Aside from being an extremely uncomfortable procedure, IMHO a feeding tube crosses way over the DNR line. She's in no immediate danger, as she's carried an extra 50 pounds for the last 40 years, and the I.V. would take care of the fluids, mostly.

It was pretty dramatic for a while, but eventually reason won out, and she was discharged from the hospital into hospice care. All we can do now is just wait & see whether this is just a phase of the Alzheimer's, or whether her body is truly shutting down in preparation for death.

We're lucky to have had her this long. I can't help but wonder how long it'll be until I have to be the one making the tough decisions when my parents reach that point in life.