Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, January 18, 2007

On The Radio

Whoa-Ah-Oh-Oh-Oh, On The Radio!

Yeeeks... what dusty recess of my brain did that bit o' Donna Summer disco crawl out of?

How much does Houston radio suck? Imagine about 10,000 vacuum cleaners connected in series, each one carried by a crack 'ho wearing knee pads and that might come close. I never thought I'd find much to miss about Dallas/Ft. Worth, but they tended to have their $h1t together, radio-wise. Well, they had WBAP and 105.3 FM, and that was good enough.

I tend to listen to radio much more than I watch TV, 'cause it runs at a lower bandwith, in a manner of speaking. I can keep a radio tuned in one ear, and not get too distracted from whatever I'm puttering around with. TV, OTOH, I tend to get sucked into, and nothing else gets done until I quit watching.

That being said, there's very little radio in this town worth listening to. I like Chris Baker on KTRH, but I no longer get to listen to him due to Clear Channel's Great Rescheduling of 2007. Listening over the Interwebs is frowned upon in The Man's offices, and wrapped up in concrete and steel skyscraper, there's very poor antenna reception.

At any rate, I got to thinking about what would be my perfect radio lineup, if I could be an omnipotent Program Director. Unlike Clear Channel's local PD, who might be the impotent Program Director, judging by his dickless decisions recently. I mean, c'mon! Pulling Glenn Beck and Pat Gray? What is ya, Slick? Ignunt?

I think this lineup would work out OK.

6a-8a: WBAP Morning Show

8a-10a: The Mark Davis Show

10a-12p: Car Talk (aka Click & Clack, the Tappet Bros.)

12p-1p: Local news and Paul Harvey commentary

1p-3p: Rick Roberts

3p-7p: The Russ Martin Show

7p-10p: Chris Baker

10p-12a: LoveLine

12a-2a: Glenn Beck

2a-4a: Dr. Demento

4a-6a: King Biscuit Flower Hour

No, no Stern, no Limbaugh, and most certainly no Savage...