Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Bird In The Hand...

Brother, Can You Spare Two Grand??

Ruger has finally let a few of their new 4" barreled Redhawk Revolvers leak out to the gunwriters and wholesalers for review.

I've had a Redhawk on my "To Buy Next" list long enough that it probably will be my next gun purchase. I've been wanting a .44 Magnum, and they just don't make 'em more durable than the Redhawks.

Here's the new model:



I'm a bit concerned that the MSRP is around $800. I know, you can knock off $200-250 by getting one at a gun show, but that's still a hefty tariff, considering the 5.5" barreled version can be had used for less than $400. Also, it doesn't appear that a factory porting job will be an option, so there's another $120 I'd need to spend. And, yes, I'd *really* need to get it ported. Full-house .44 Mag loads in a 4" barrel are gonna be a thrill ride!

I don't know how their proprietary rubber grip is going to affect me adding a finger-groove wooden grip, either. According to one gun reviewer, you have to use a special wedge tool to get the grips off, and who knows how that system will affect adding custom grips.

I dunno. Maybe I'd be better off going with the longer-barreled version. Long term plans for the pistol are to turn it into an heirloom piece. I'm shopping around for custom engravers who will work on stainless guns. I'd like to get a 50-60% coverage, and my name down the backstrap. Maybe the family's cattle brand on one side panel. That'll cost 5 or 6 bills, minimum. An action job, custom grips, port job and some nice leather, and I'll have a piece worthy of relatives squabbling over after I'm gone, all for around 2K.

Oh, well. Gun show this weekend. Maybe I'll go do some comparison shopping...