Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Fishheads, Fishheads, Rolypoly Fishheads!

Fishheads, Fishheads, Eat Them Up, Yum!

Y'know, I thought my habit of rolling up a grilled kosher hot dog and a slice of cheese in a flour tortilla was kinda odd, until I saw Elisson's recipe for sardine & cheese tacos. Man, talk about inducing an involuntary gag reflex...

Hell, it might just taste like ambrosia. I'll never know, 'cause I have a real hard time with canned fish.

We were never really a fish family. Mom knew 5 fish recipes, and 3 involved canned tuna. The 4th one required a cookie sheet and frozen fish sticks. The last one she was strongly discouraged by my father to prepare, as her method of broiling fish not only turned the tender filets into boot leather, but it attracted every stray cat in a half-mile radius.

I was never much of a fisherman, either. Our family pastimes involved gunning down cute forest animals and birdies and eating their bloody remains, not dipping a worm-covered hook in murky water for hours on end. Not wanting to be completely helpless around the waterfront, I have since learned to filet and cook a fish. I have also learned it's easier and cheaper to buy your fish at the store than go out fishing!

So, I don't have a family history of cooking the finny little critters. I've learned to like most fish dishes, so long as they involve a fresh fish at the start of the recipe, and a plateful of yummy goodness at the end. Cioppino, fish & chips, sashimi, nova lox, bacalao, grilled halibut, salmon mousse, it's all good.

Canned fish? Au contraire, mon frere...

I can deal with tuna. It ain't great, but it's cheap, and you can doctor it up pretty well. I kinda like smoked oysters, too. I've learned to make salmon croquettes, so canned salmon's not too awful. If I had to eat it by the spoonful out of the can, though? BuWhaallgghh!! Cat food to the max...

Other things that I can't imagine eating without hurling? Anchovies. Sardines. Those cans of "fish steaks" in assorted sauces. Gefilte fish. (shudder) Canned mackerel. Canned squid and octopi. Those jars of pickled herring in cream sauce. (shudder shudder) Pilchards and skipjack, whatever the heck those are...

I tried once. I really did. Bought a can of sardines, took 'em home and planned on eating them on toast or something. Got that lid peeled back and saw those little heads staring at me, and that's all she wrote. The cats ate well that afternoon.

Maybe I ought to try fresh grilled sardines before I attempt the canned variety again. I've been meaning to try out this Portugese restaurant in town, and that's one of their specialities. Until then, though, I'm steering clear of fish in a can...