Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Teaching Old Baboons New Tricks

Ain't No Soggy Bottom Girl!

Ok, antiquated old fogey that I am, I still have managed to keep an ear to the ground as far as current music syles. Sort of, anyway. F'rinstance, there's this thing called a 'mashup' that's popular with the kiddies these days. They take two dissimilar songs, and mash 'em togther in a semi-pleasing fashion. Sort of, anyway...

In my day, we got the same effect when the C90 cassette tape got old and thin, and you'd get bleedthrough from the other side of the tape. Well, that and singing the theme to Gilligan's Island to the tune of "Stairway to Heaven". Same kind of deal. Sort of, anyway...

So I'm on YouTube the other night, looking for somma dat old-timey bluegrass music some of us old fogies like, and I run across something just a bit different. Some enterprising soul has taken "Man of Constant Sorrow", from the 'O Brother, Where Art Thou' soundtrack, and wedged it together with Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl".

At first, I was appalled, as most old fogies are. Then the long-buried musician in me took another listen, and I'll be got-damned if maybe they're not onto something here...

Check her out...




If that tickled your fancy, imagine a mashup of Green Day and Kelly Clarkson...