Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day #14,245

So Far, So Good...

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who left words of encouragement concerning my 39th B-day. They were greatly appreciated!

Dad drove back from my sister's place yesterday to take care of a few odds & ends, one of which was taking me out for dinner. I was tempted to scar up his credit card with a 32 oz. ribeye and a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino, but at the last minute, I suddenly had the craving for a positively obscene pile o' pastrami.

There's a Noo Yawk-style deli hereabouts that I like quite a bit called Kenny & Ziggy's. I dunno if it would meet with Elisson and The Brooklyn Dodger's approval, but they have a separate meat & milk menu, so I'm guessing they're kosher.

As one who is not of the Chosen People, I was free to gobble on some treyf, and gobble I did. They have a sammich the size of your head consisting of a gigantimous pile of brisket served between two potato latkes, and I gleefully schmeared applesauce & sour cream over the latkes, which in turn leaked onto the thin-sliced brisket, sending the whole thing into the realm of the anti-kosher. T'was farookin' delicious, though!

Also noshed were a pile of half-sour pickles, some 'tater salad, a bagel with a schmear, and a bowl of rice pudding just to round things out. Probably 4000 calories of deli goodness. Shaddap about the calories, it's my birthday!

When I got home, my present (from myself, alas) was waiting for me on the doorstep. I was hoping it would arrive last week for the weekend, but UPS bricked on the pickup. Ah, well. Better late than never.

So, I open my box from Amazon.com, and there's the latest book from John Scalzi, and the final Harry Potter tome.

Talk about temptation... I'm about halfway through Philip Pullman's 'The Subtle Knife', the 2nd volume in his Dark Materials trilogy, and I've got Scalzi's 'The Last Colony' and Rowling's 'Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows' in front of me... Which to read? Which to read??

No contest, really. The fantasy gets put aside, and I tore into the Scalzi novel. Started at 8 pm last night, got 5 hours of sleep, woke up and finished it by 7 am. Damn, that man can write.

So, take note, Rockhauler! I tucked a copy of Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' in one of those bags of books I gave you! Get on it! Then get to work on Pullman's 'The Golden Compass', which is also in there!

I also picked up The Thin Man DVD collection from the local pre-owned DVD shop. All 6 Thin Man movies and a documentary on William Powell & Myrna Loy for $30! They were selling it as used, but if these have ever been played, they were opened in a dust-free environment and handled by elves wearing sterile latex gloves. Mmmmm... Elves... latex... mmmm.... oh, shit, where was I going with that???

Anyway, I think I'm up for a dose of Nick & Nora before diving into the Harry Potter this evening. I might even have to shake up a cocktail to get in the proper spirit!