Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, October 12, 2007

Rejoice! The CCB Is Back!

(For A Limited Time Only, Methinks...)

I'm wandering home last night trying to decide if I want to stop at the local illegal alien-infested Hamburguesa Rey for a "Doble-Carne Juapper y papas fritas" when I see the sign from the Almighty...

Passing by the Taco Bell, I barely glimpsed it. In fact, it took traveling another 50 yards down the road before the window sign penetrated my consciousness. 'Chili Nachos Bell Grande!!'

"Hmmmm..." thinks I. "Putting chili on nachos. Not a bad..."

Suddenly the full import of what I had witnessed sunk into my brain.
THEY HAVE CHILI COOKING AT TACO BELL!!!

My truck, almost of its own volition, slowed, swerved left and then crawled over the median on Mangum Rd. near 18th & Dacoma to point back towards the Bell, and I leadfooted it back to the parking lot.

See, if they've got chili, they can probably be talked into making one of my all-time favorite fast food addictions.

Yes, the Taco Bell Chili Cheese Burrito!

This culinary masterpiece used to be called the Chilito, until someone pointed out that's what many of our Hispanic neighbors called a tiny penis.

The CCB starts with a large tortilla. It gets a big ladleful of chili, then a handful of shredded cheese, and then a sprinkling of chopped white onion. It's placed in the steamer to flash-melt the cheese and soften the tortilla, then folded up and served.

By the time you unwrap it, the chili and cheese and onions have melded into a wonderful gooey mess surrounded by warm tortilla. To eat it properly, you must master the CCB slurp-bite, or you'll get goo all over your shirt. To do this right, you must slurp out the filling before biting down on the burrito.

For some unknown reason, Taco Bell pulled the CCB off their menus several years ago. There was an online movement to bring back the CCB, and I wrote several letters to Taco Bell & Yum! Brands trying to sway their decision.

Last night, the kind folks at Taco Bell didn't have to be bribed! They knew exactly how to make a CCB, and it was even programmed into the register! Alas, they couldn't say how long the promotion would continue, or if it would become a regular menu item again. I sure hope so!

So, make a run for the border, and get yourself a couple of Chili Cheese Burritos while you still can!!!