Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Essential Personnel

Essentially, I'm Sitting Here Doing Nothing

OK, it's mostly my fault. I broke Rule #1, which is NEVER EVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!

But, I did, so here I am.

Back when Katrina & Rita blew through the neighborhood, I agreed to come in to hold the fort while all my co-workers skedaddled for higher ground. I'd hoped that I'd find myself removed from The Man's 'essential personnel' list this year, but such is not the case.

I got a call at home last night from my boss confirming that I was to report to work this morning. This morning, as I'm barely 1/2 mile from the office, I get a call on my cell phone from the Uber-Boss telling me that I'm not really needed, but since I'm so close, to come on in, change out my phone message to re-route possible callers to other Minions of The Man, and I can leave.

Oh, thank you SO much! Now that I'm here and soaked to the skin!

I could have changed the message from the house, for Pete's sake. I coulda done it last night, and slept late.

Methinks I've got item #1 on the agenda picked out for our next staff planning meeting...