Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, August 11, 2008

Recipe Revision

Serve This Stuffed In A Baked 'Tater!

Quite some time ago I posted a recipe for Green Beans Oregano, a favorite from when I was a kid.

It was so long ago, in fact, that I'd completely forgotten about posting it and to my surprise saw my own blog in the Google search results as I was looking for the recipe this afternoon.

As luck would have it, I found a better version of the recipe. It's not foodie-grade cuisine, just your typical out-of-a-can potluck grade comida, but I still like it a lot.

Try this one out next time you have a sit-down meal!

Green Beans Oregano

Yield: 10-12 servings

Frozen green beans work fine in this recipe. Just prepare them according to package directions, and drain well.


6 c. (about 2 lbs.) fresh green beans
6 to 8 slices crisply cooked bacon
2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 (3-oz.) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 (1-oz.) envelope onion soup mix
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed dried oregano


Wash beans and remove strings. Cut beans into pieces, if desired. Cook beans in unsalted water, covered, until crisp-tender; drain. Place beans in a large bowl. Chop or crumble 4 or 5 slices of bacon., and add to beans, along with soup, mushrooms, onion soup mix, and oregano. Stir well, and refrigerate overnight, covered, to allow flavors to blend (very important). Bake in a 3-quart casserole, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Garnish with remaining bacon before serving.