Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Things To Feed El Capitan

Comida Por El Dia De Pavo!

I had to ask a Spanish speaking co-worker to remind me what the Spanish word for 'turkey' was. It bounced off my tongue-tip as soon as she said 'pavo', but I still think my first instinct 'El Gobleador' sounds better.

Well, Thanksgiving is getting nearer, and since I've been woefully deficient in posting anything foodie-related, I thought I'd make an effort to put up some of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes in the coming weeks.

Mom first made this one back when I was still in short pants. It doesn't show up every year on the buffet line, but if it does, you'd better be in front of me, lest there be none remaining! I seem to recall asking Mom to make a bucket of it so I could finally get all I wanted. She declined, so my addiction continues unabated to this day.

Without further ado, here's:
Green Beans Oregano

Ingredients:
2 boxes or one med. bag frozen green beans
(you can use the french cut, if you're into that sort of thing)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
(Non-condensed! I like Progresso Creamy Mushroom)
1 tsp. oregano (I love oregano, and use 2-3 tsp.)
1 can Durkee french fried onions
Fresh-ground black pepper


Instructions:
Heat green beans according to package info until heated through (not boiling) then dump beans into a sieve to drain the liquid.

In a 9" casserole dish, combine one and a half cans of the mushroom soup, the oregano and pepper to your taste, then stir until well mixed.

Add in the green beans, and carefully fold until beans are coated. Spread the leftover soup over the top. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees, sprinkle with the french fried onions and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Now, if you want to get fancy and throw in some pancetta, garlic cloves, fresh-sliced porcini mushrooms, or make fresh onion rings yourself (or get them from Sonic or BK), well, that's up to you! It's all good!