Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rocket Report

42 Dozen More Reasons To Like Tennessee

There were rockets this year on the Tennessee trip, but they didn't join the party until I was on the road home...

Behold:


(Click pic to embigginate!)

On the way out of the state, I dropped in on the gigantimous fireworks store on I-75 and loaded up on a bunch of contraband.

Mostly, they're bottle rockets. Fun, inexpensive, and oh so illegal here in Texas!

I was amazed how little money it takes to buy a bucketload of pyrotechnic fun. I suppose having them legal year-round increases the supply and drops the price.

Those orange doohickeys in the plastic bags are called "Whistling Chasers". They were known by another name in my youth, which I won't repeat here. I haven't seen these in 20 years at any Texas fireworks stand.

I couldn't resist sampling the wares last night. The "Zips" on the bottom right I took to be those little spinning jumping jacks. The warning label says "Emits sparks and spins on ground".

Heh. As if... More like "Shoots out green flames, & rockets up 40 feet in the air with a warbling shriek!" If I'd known how cool those were, I'd have bought many more than five bucks worth...

It's gonna be a whiz-bang New Year!!