Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Pretty Damn Good Weekend

Unfortunately, That Means Tomorrow Will Likely Suck

I had a good visit with my buddy Rockhauler over the weekend. He dropped down from D/FW to see his uncle and hang out with me for a bit. I spent way too much money, of course, but we don't see each other more than 3 or 4 times a year now that I'm down in H-town.

I may have to change his nom de blog from Rockhauler to Holesucker since he's gonna quit rockhauling and start hanging out at gas & oil drilling sites and relieving them of their watery sludgy buildup. Somehow, I think he'll object to the namechange. After all, it'll be all in good fun until some future blogparty when someone gets a load on and instead of Holesucker, calls him 'Felcher', and as we all know, that's how fights get started. Yeah, best to maintain the status quo, I'm thinking.

We tried a couple of good restaurants for dinner Fri and Sat nights, Yia-Yia Mary's and Pappadeaux. Yia-Yia Mary's is Greek food, and aside from an extremely anemic rice pudding, it was pretty tasty. I'm getting addicted to taramosalata and skordalia. We waited until far too late to go get food, but luckily they were open until 11. They finally tossed us out at twenty after 11, but by that time we were stuffed. Next time I'll get their baklava cheesecake and the dinner'll be perfect.

Pappadeaux I normally avoid like the plague, because it's usually way too crowded. However, Rockhauler wanted fish, so we found one that wasn't too awfully crowded, and we didn't even have to wait to be seated.

Best meal I've had in a while, though I did pay for the privilege! Big meaty boiled shrimps with cocktail sauce, a huge platter of fried seafood, and a very tasty Mason jar full of 'nanner pudding for dessert. I overcame my usual dread of asymmetrical bivalves, and ate the fried oysters. I love fried clams and smoked oysters (see, the tin can is symmetrical!), so it seemed silly to not eat them. They weren't too bad. A bit spongy, maybe, but OK. Cocktail sauce hides a world of sins.

We raided the nearest Half Price Books to maintain our printed word addiction, then headed to to see 'Batman Begins'. We are both Batman-o-philes, and our last Batman movie experience was the dungheap with Ah-nuld, that whiny pusbag Chris O'Donnell, and that bitchy blonde chick from 'Clueless' and the old Aerosmith videos. I remarked as we left that godawful experience that the high-pitched whine we were hearing was Bob Kane spinning in his grave.

Ol' Bob would have been OK with this one. It wasn't perfect, but I'll spare you the BatGeek nitpicking and just say it was worth the $8.50 ticket.

No, I lied, I will nitpick. Katie Holmes, your weird lopsided mug reminds me of Katie Couric, and I *loathe* Katie Couric. I was never a Dawson's Creek fan, and while your perky little breastesses are magnificent, your acting sucks ass. While I deplore your upcoming brainwashing by Tom Cruise and his Scientology nutcases, if it keeps you off the silver screen, I can live with it.

Ok, rant over.

4 day week coming up! Gonna be off Friday to head to New Braunfels for the blogmeet. Should be a lot of fun!