Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

For That Price, They Oughta Spit-Polish My Barrel!

Or At Least Consider A Reacharound.

I finally found a place nearby that'll headspace that BRNO Mauser I bought last month. For the low low price of $25, the guy will place three gauges in the chamber and see if it's in spec. Oh, yeah, he'll have to pull the extractor off the bolt. Add 5 minutes tops to the time total.

So, $25 for maybe 6 minutes work. That makes it... $250 an hour? Good work if you can get it.

I ought to have done the redneck headspacing method. My buddy Rockhauler explained it to me. It involves tying the suspect rifle to a tractor tire, tying a string to the trigger, covering the whole mess with a blanket, stepping off about 10 feet and yanking on the string. If the blanket flies up like a bat out of hell, you had a bad rifle.

For the record, I'm generally opposed to this testing method!!