Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Decisions, Decisions...

If This Was November, It'd Be A Slam-dunk.

Ever have the sneaking suspicion that your tendency to procrastinate about important decisions is really your subconscious telling you something?

I'm running out of time to get my hotel room bought for the upcoming New Orleans blogmeet. I've already reserved the time off, but that didn't involve any dollar outlay, and canceling it is as simple as an email.

It'd be an expensive trip, what with the room, meals, booze, gasoline, and bail money for these guys, but that's not really the sticking point. Sure, the $26 dollar-a-day parking charge sucks ass, but I can deal with that. The 5 hour drive out there is a PITA, but easily do-able. The fact that I'll know only two people there certainly adds a level of trepidation, but not one that's insurmountable.

What it boils down to is prior commitments, and how freakin' hot it's gonna be.

Until her email arrived last week, I'd forgotten I'd talked with my friend Jenni about doing a pub crawl up & down Division Street in Arlington for our birthdays in July. Between the 2005 Texas Blogfest and the upcoming Hill Country blogmeet and the one in New Orleans, I've gotten all wrapped up in this new crowd, and slacked off on the pre-blog friends, which ain't good at all. In fact, I feel pretty bad about it. Knowing Jenni, she'll be all for me doing the N'Awlins thing, but she did have first dibs...

Second, unless some unseasonable weather either drops the temps 20 degrees, or drops rain for the entire weekend, July in New Orleans is pretty frickin' miserable. I know, I've been there/done that before. 10 years and 12 inches of waistline ago, I'd have no problem marching back and forth on Bourbon Street in a Hurricane-induced haze in 95 degree heat. Now, I've got genuine concerns about turning into a greasy puddle halfway to Cafe Du Monde.

It's a question of utility when you get right down to it. Most folks wouldn't be so crass as to calculate ROI on a pleasure trip, but I've always been wired differently, constantly calculating risk vs. reward in almost everything I do. Given outlay of $X, which offers the greater rate of return? Stepping into the unknown (and a HOT unknown at that), or going with the friendly and familiar?

This may honestly come down to a coin flip. I've got until the 22nd to catch the cheap room rates. After that, my indecision adds $20 to each day's hotel bill.

I could always blow off both trips, and dump the money into my "Cap needs a new computer" fund.

Sigh. I hate decisions.