Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Gun Show! Gonna Spend A Wad Of Cash!

Because Saving Money Is For Cautious People

I'm off to the High Caliber gun show at the Pasadena Convention Center tomorrow morning with Zibig and the Cisco Kid. God only knows what we will find there. I kind of prefer the smaller shows as opposed to the huge ones held at Reliant Center or the GRBCC because they're cheaper for the vendors, which means we'll get more kitchen-table dealers looking to move inventory, and more variety of who shows up. You also don't have to pay to park way out in BFE.

I'm not a fan of the booths full of Beanie Babies, cheap jewelry and schlock art, but in the words of an unnamed gun dealer, "It gives the little woman something to do!" No doubt there are many women just all atwitter over that Neanderthalesque phrase. My only answer for you is to step up to the plate and start selling guns & accessories instead of that other crap. Should the shit ever hit the fan, all that fooferaw is instantly worthless, and guns will be worth their weight in gold. Something to think about, anyway.

I'm really not going to buy a gun this time. I promise! I've got to save my shekels for the Dallas trip in 2 weeks, and I'm looking to get a gun safe before I bring any more into the house. I'm out of lockable case space.

So, with any luck, I'll find the following tomorrow:

Surplus 7.92x57 ammo (8mm Mauser), hopefully non-corrosive.
Plenty of 8mm stripper clips
8mm Snap-cap
Sling for the BRNO rifle
Gas-tube scope mount for an SKS
10 rd. fixed mag for SKS
Some sharp pointy steel object
and, of course, a big bag o' beef jerky.

Drop by if you're in the area. I'll have my El Capitan hat on, and we're there probably 10:30 to 1-ish. $6 to get in, free parking.