Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Back To Basics With The SKS!

Well, For A Little While, Anyway!

I finally got the scope mount for my SKS back in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from a company called Rogue Sports off of Ebay, and when it arrived a couple of weeks ago, it didn't fit. They took it back without any quibbling, made some adjustments, test fired it in their own SKS, then sent it back. It dropped in this time with no trouble at all.

I also ordered a stock 10-round mag from another dealer on eBay, 'cause I was just tired of the 30-round fixed mag the gun came with. It's hard to carry around, and there's no easy way to shoot it off of a bench rest or from the prone position with that big ol' steel banana hanging off the bottom of the rifle. If I'm ever in a position where I need to have more than 10 rounds of 7.62x39 on tap, I'm probably doing something pretty ignorant to begin with!

It took a bit of convincing to get the 10 round mag in the proper place. It was about three crotch hairs too long, and I was not in the mood to hunt down a small file and spend the evening scraping away. You know what they say, "Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer!" so I used a handy block of 2x4 to carefully tap that sucker into position. It feeds with no issues, and the mag release drops the trapdoor and follower out with no sticking. Not world-class gunsmithing, but it'll do for my purposes. We're not dealing with a Purdey or a Rigby here, after all.

I dug up the bayonet and cleaning rod and got them mounted back on, just on a whim. I keep meaning to find someone with a bandsaw so I can take off the bayonet lug once and for all. At my age and level of physical conditioning, if someone's within bayonet range it's easier to drop the empty rifle and pull out the .45 pistol than dance around tryin' to poke someone. Again, if I'm in that position where bayonets are necessary, I'm doing something I probably shouldn't be doing!

So, we're back to standard equipment, with the added bonus of a red-dot sight mounted way up front. The gas tube scope mount is built in such a way that it allows use of the iron sights, and though I was cautioned not to use that style of mount due to accuracy issues, there's no play at all in the mount. It sits pretty tight, and the light recoil of the SKS isn't likely to make things wiggle out of place.

This ought to be a fun shooter, for tin cans, targets, or the invading Marshmallow Monsters from Alpha Centauri. It's been a closet-dweller for far too long! Pics posted ASAP!